What is Sparks Babe Ruth Baseball all about?
The Sparks Babe Ruth Baseball League is a youth oriented program dedicated to good sportsmanship and respect for the rules of Baseball. The guiding principle of the Babe Ruth baseball program has been, and continues to be, promoting what is for the good of youth. All individuals involved in Sparks Babe Ruth are required to be dedicated to educating the game of baseball and sportsmanship alike.
Chartered in 1975, Sparks Babe Ruth maintains teams in the 13 - 15 Division (13 - 15 yr. olds) and teams in the Senior Division (16 - 18 yr. olds). We play on average an 18 game season, with the seeding for the Sparks City Tournament based on the FINAL league standings. In 2017, the METS took top honors as the Sparks City Champions for the 13-15 year old division! Additionally, the Senior division champion RED SOX took top honors for the 16 - 18 year old division! Congratulations to BOTH teams!
Sparks Babe Ruth Baseball established in the Sparks Community for over 50 years prides itself in providing equal opportunity and quality baseball for all children ages 12-18. For tournament/travel team children to High School, from the Prep to the Main division the Babe Ruth program has proven to be an asset to community sponsored baseball. Additionally we encourage participation and parental involvement and respond to all reasonable requests in a timely manner since this is your league!!! Surrounding businesses and sponsors have thrived in this relationship from the old Charlie Smith fields to the new Golden Eagle facility! We hope to continue that successful track record by encouraging all within the community to become actively involved in your league, Sparks Babe Ruth Baseball!
2018 Board of Directors
Every year in August the Board of Directors meet to elect the new Board for the following year. These positions are held for one year and require a great deal of dedication from the individuals filling them. Sparks Babe Ruth has been fortunate to have a quality group of individuals on its Board. If at anytime you need to contact any of the individuals below, please click on the name corresponding to the position and you should be able to email them directly. Please note, not all board members have access to email. Your members for the 2018 season are:
- President - John Patterson: Responsible for all SBR league matters
- Asst President - Mark Duncan: Ass't to the President
- VP 13-15 Division - Elisha Zayas: Responsible for all Manager/Coaching concerns, rules, etc.
- VP 16-18 Division - Art Gyll: Responsible for all Manager/Coaching concerns. rules, etc.
- Treasurer - Wendy Patterson: SBR fiscal accountability/responsibility
- Player Agent - Gina Colorado: Responsible for Player registration, teams mgmt, tryouts, draft and player selection
- Secretary - Open
- Insurance Coordinator - Michele Hawkins: Responsible for player/manager/coach - SBR league insurance
- Assistant Player Agent - Open
- Snack Bar Coordinator - Gina Colorado (temporary): Responsible for open/close, shopping, store manager, bank deposits, etc.
- Equipment/Uniform Manager - Renae Dourte: Responsible for all team baseball gear & uniforms provided by SBR
- Head Scorekeeper - Open: Responsible for player/manager/coach lineup batting/pitching rules adherence per game per team
- Member -at- Large - Bryan Hawkins
- Member -at- Large - Bob Bailey
- Member -at- Large - Dan Dourte
- Member -at- Large - Vernon Frieberg
- Special Events/Media Coordinator - Thad Peterson: Responsible for Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and/or associated social media applications designed to promote the SBR Baseball league
- Web site Management - Elisha Zayas: http://www.sparksbaberuth.com/
Board meetings are held once a month with exception to December. Check the home page for time and location of the next meeting - The public is invited and anyone can attend. Volunteers are needed for open positions as available!